Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, July 11, 2011

First Client: Complete

Well, my last post walked you through the day of my first paid, photo session.  Now I'm here to report on the proofing, ordering, and delivery process.

I was a little under the gun for post-processing the images that I got for my first client, but it wasn't hard to get it done.  I was about to select 30 images for processing and proofing.  I would normally print proofs from the photo lab that I use, but I decided that it was faster to use the 1-hour photo service at Walmart.  Because of the proof sheets that I use, it was evident that Walmart has a color-consistency issue with their printers.  Nevertheless, I was under a deadline with this family since they are moving THIS week!

My experience with Walmart was reassuring though.  I showed up to pick up my proofs and they had flagged my order as needing a photo release form.  Glad to know that someone working for minimum wage at a giant corporation cares enough to protect my copyright.

This client took full advantage of my 50% off sale and ordered the biggest package (Major Cavity).  So we had lots of choices and options to cover.  Once that was complete, it was time to order from the photo lab.  This was an experience in itself because I've never used their remote suite ordering software or their ROES software.  The magnificent thing is that I ordered my prints at about 11:30 on Thursday and had my prints by 11:30 on Friday!  How's that for fast service?!

While this appeared as though it were going to be a flawless process, I found that three of my images printed less than stellar.  The first was slightly blurry.  The second had a harsh shadow on one of the girls' faces.  The third was simply too dark.  So I fixed these three and reordered.  The bad part is that this cut into my profit as I'm the one who has to pay for the image to be remade.  So $15 lost, but lesson learned.

I delivered her prints today and she loved them and I got PAID!  If I didn't need the $$, I'd frame the check.  It feels good to have my first client in the books.  The bad part is that they are moving and so there won't be any repeat business.

My next post will be about networking.  I still need to get on it!

No comments: